22 March 2011

Shooting Short Film AD

Salam,
Hye again readers.

This time all I wanna talk about is my first experience in shooting. These past two days I was involved in shooting a short film called AD under the subject of Theater and Film.

At first I was hell ya excited about it, I woke up at 5.00am that morning and got ready. I and another nine of my classmates were assigned to work as the Production Manager (PM) in this short film. Actually in the screen world the PM is only assigned to one person and their job is to handle the production. They need to prepare food, handle transportation, make sure that everything is going out well.




Ten people handling one's job might be less burdening. Our director Kak Aina Mastura divided us into departments and I was assigned as her assistant. Our group leader was Mieyo while Ika was in charge of the financial, Nazli was in the food department and Mukmin was the runner since he was the only one who had a car.

Being the assistant of the director didn't give me a specific job description on what I had to focus on so I just followed the instructions of Kak Aina Mastura (Kak Mas) the director. Mostly I helped out my other classmates. That was before the shooting took place.

On the day of the shooting I at first was completely lost on what to do. I just helped out what I think I was suppose to do. The first day of shooting we shot at the Shah Alam lake just in front of Shah Alam Gallery. It was exciting seeing the process of shooting in front of my eyes.

After the scene at the lake we headed of to the directors house not that far away from there. It cost us almost half a day at the lake because it rained heavily at noon. When we got to the director's house I found out something really shocking. Not that shocking la, but I was a bit surprised when the truth came out.

The story goes like this, Kak Mas and I know the same person that is Nur Farahin Najiff, Farahin is Kak Mas niece while  Farahin also is one of my cousins I think but we have blood connections, that is for sure. Farahin a.k.a baby was also one of my bestfriends during school so that how I know we have blood connections when I met her parents and she met my parents. Back to the story, Kak Mas introduced me to her mother and asked me whether she knows me or not since we both have blood connection with baby.

"Saya anak cik Mamat cik"
" Mamat mana ea"
"Shaiful Bahri"
" Ohhh.. anak Shaiful Bahri, HAHA"

Kak Mas mother laughed and said that of course she knows my dad. She said that my great great grandfather and Kak Mas great great grandfather are siblings witch makes me and Kak Mas ( I DON'T KNOW WHAT) but for sure KAMI ADALAH SEDARA. When we got to know we were like OHHHHH sedaraku. Memang scene jejak kasih, rasanya kalau cerita kami bertanding dekat minggu karyawan boleh menang tak? HAHA..

So back to the story about the shooting, day one went well, then day two we shot at UiTM Puncak Alam, day two was a bit tensioning for me, Why? because I got scolded by a Pakcik because I didn't allow him to pass through a path since the camera was rolling and the shooting was taking place. It made me moody all day. Overall day two went well.

Talking about shooting there are also some experiences I wanna share with you guys, at first my biggest mistake of all is that I fell asleep at the shooting site. Well actually that time was raining at Tasik Shah Alam and the shooting took place inside the gallery. The director told me to take care of the cat since we used a cat for the shooting and I was also in charge in handling the talent for this short film. While looking after the cat I also was reading and outside the gallery seemed to be a quite since most of the production was inside the gallery and the other PM's were downstairs. So that left me and the cat, it has become my habit to read but after half an hour my eyes get heavy and then suddenly I was asleep. Time macam ni la baru lecturer nak datang. He caught me sleeping, and when I realized he was already there. Padahal I just dozed of for about 10 minutes.

Then another experience is that I found out that I strictly hate handling talents so I can't be a personal assistant. Why? because I have to much ego inside me, I easily get annoyed of people who think too great of themselves. Seriously during the shooting process I didn't quite do my job sincerely, I really wanted to yell out that time but thank god I still have the strength to save it. Then my friends keep annoying and telling me to kipaskan talentlah, angkat beg talentlah, tanya talent dah makan ke belom, yang mana necessary aku buatlah tapi nak kipas2kan bagai memang, NO WAY. I'm not their servant. That's why I can't be a personal assistant, I just can't stand serving people. Macam agak over kan statement aku? But that's the truth, I'm not trying to be a hypocrite here. I'm not saying that all of them are too over themselves , just one or two. Some of the talents I do really respect them. The one I can't stand is the ones that think they are too too.. isk.. forget it, just talking bout it makes me annoyed.

A good thing about this shooting is that somehow I got to know my relatives, and I also went to my aunt's house that I didn't go for a long time. My family was close to them when we were in London, but when we stayed in Malaysia we haven't met for a long time. The purpose I went there the first place is because we were assigned to look for a doctor's costume and a stethoscope so since she was a doctor so I borrowed from her. Memang lama gila tak pergi rumah dia sampai lupa rumah dia kat mana. Another thing is that my director is also my kakak sedara. What a small world right?

Another thing that I quite like about shooting is that I met new people. The best of all is that I was working with IMMAN. So shooting was not that miserable.

If I am given a choice to work for a film company or a theater company I'll prefer more on theater. Why? Cause after actually experiencing both of them I find working in the theater suites me better that shooting. Working for the theater is hard work and really tiring but at least we feel satisfied with that tiring because we non-stop do work. But for shooting it is also tiring but working behind the camera needs full of patients because mostly what we do is wait. One thing that I really hate is waiting and during shooting there is a lot of waiting to be done especially when the actors have to finish their shots. They have to do the same thing over and over again. At least for theater working backstage requires us to do work and we spent most of our time making sets and when the set is finally done we feel satisfied because at least our hard work did show something.

Overall shooting was a great experience and I hope to learn more about it in the future. Maybe next time I'll participate in handling something that I love to do so that I actually enjoy doing that work.

Inilah kakak sedaraku yang baru ditemui



During shooting

4 comments:

  1. hmmm... tido sebab penat.. biasalah tu cikcit

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, sngt penat.. time tu jgklah lecturer nak dtg.. haiyaaa

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you k cikcit. its not your fault darl. actually its the system. berterabur susun student for criss cross subject. lecturer should know its not appropriate to have so many people doing the works that supposedly only few should done it. akak pun pening tak tau cmne nak bahagikan tugas time shoot. and thats sorry from me too. but i know that you guys already done a good job. or else, the shooting will never be accomplish. and thank you all tau. i owe you guys so much. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you to Kak Mas, it was great working with you btw

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts, if you wish for a urgent responce, please tweet @miracikcit.